Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dum Spiro...Spero!

In response to a friend's recent posting on a social network; where he stated that he was lowering his expectations of people. 

I responded:
Dum Spiro...Spero. (Latin for: "While I breathe, I hope.)
While I breathe, I hope that I and others have the capacity, wherewithal and opportunity to change their lives; the lives of others; and do better than we did the day before. It's a matter of choice. Set measurable goals.
I expect so much more from humanity. It's there and it's palpable.
People will rise or sink to your level of expectation. Expect more, hope more, help more. Just do it.  You will reap exponential results!
Although deeply concerned, I wasn't upset with him.  He stated a growing trend in our society.  Most recently I read news that a city school district, in New Jersey, will lower passing grade scores from 70 to 65; their reason, so that more students can participate in extracurricular activities. :(   We are accepting, encouraging and recapitulating underachievement. 


WHY?
Dum Spiro...Spero...
(Loosely translated: "Hope springs eternal, in the human breast.)
As Fire Officers, we must strive, daily, to be and do our best; set high expectations for your crews, companies and divisions.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Lower your standards and all you'll get is substandard. Not really worth much is it?

    ReplyDelete