Tuesday, August 21, 2012

FDIC: The Greatest Show On Earth!!!

FDIC: The Greatest Show On Earth!!!


Fire Department Instructor Conference
 
Somewhere I read; “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

When I was a child I thought the “Greatest Show on Earth”  was Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Baily Circus.  They came to our area, year after year, around the same time, every year.  We looked forward to it.  We knew we were going to see wonderful and exciting things.  We traveled in groups.  Sometimes with family, school friends and neighbors.  The show taught us things about the world and how there are bigger things to see.  It encouraged us to learn more and yes it entertained us.  It became the annual event that we thought about all year long.  Now, I'm not comparing F.D.I.C. to the circus. I view it more like "The World's Fair" for Fire Fighters.

#FDIC, the Fire Department Instructor Conference is no circus.  As I am now a man, I have put away childish things, (OK, I still love the UniverSoul Circus).  Having  attended FDIC, in the past, and now having the honor of joining one of the greatest group of Fire Service Instructors, for the last 3 years;  I can truly say that FDIC is: “The Greatest Show On Earth”.  So much goes into this event; behind and in front of the scenes.  It’s not just the that over 23, 000 firefighters preregistered for this years conference or the fact that nearly 400 Instructors from all over the world volunteered to teach them.  Hundreds of vendors and exhibitors are on hand to demonstrate and display their wares.  new and exciting developments on being shared and exchanged around the clock, in classrooms, meeting rooms and yeah bar rooms.

My hat’s off to Chief Bobby Halton, Diane Feldman, Ginger Mendolia, Jack Murphy, Mary Jane Dittmar, Martin Grube and so many others that if I continue to name them, I would have an article full of names.  The instructors are such a great bunch of Fire Service Luminaries that we can’t list them all here.  Chiefs Anthony Avillo, Billy Goldfeder, Lenny Carmichael, Dave Dodson, Bill Peters, David McGrail, Erron Kinney, Mike Dugan,  Art Bloomer and so, so many more.

Quoting Capt. Mike Dugan, in his own enigmatic way, “FDIC is crack for firefighters:  Once you try it, you always wanna come back for more!”


Jack Murphy, John Alston & Anthony Avillo

Congratulations to two of ” Joisey’s” bravest, who continue to do us proud with their insight, instruction; their love for the Fire Service and it’s people.   Jack Murphy who was awarded the Tom Brennan Lifetime Achievement Award 2012 and Chief Anthony Avillo, of the North Hudson Fire Department, awarded the Fire Engineering/International Society of Fire Service Instructors;  George D. Post Instructor of the Year Award 2012.  Both of these persons have contributed countless hours of preparation and instruction on a variety of topics.  They have made a tremendous impact on our industry.   It is great to walk around #FDIC and see so many Members of the Fire Service, from New Jersey who are leaders in our industry.


John and Dr. Denis Onieal.

It was good to see one of my longtime friends and mentors, Dr. Denis Onieal, Superintendent of the National Fire Academy (Formerly of the Jersey City Fire Department).  It is important to know that Dr. Onieal is fully supportive of events like FDIC; this most valued conference for firefighters and fire service instructors.  It is critical that their are bridges and relationships between our national training institutions, training directors and academies.  FDIC  gives us the proper forums and venue for effective dialogue and information exchange.

More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment